Tuesday, January 5, 2010

1 Down....11 To Go!

This is all about what I'm on and what side effects MAY occur. I'm hopeful because I only experienced a few during my last round of treatment (1/08-4/08.) You are more than welcome to skip the technical part of this blog;)

I finished my first treatment today. So far-so good. It's a regimen of 1.) Fluids 2.) Pre-meds consisting of decadron (steroids to fight nausea/allergic reactions), and aloxi (strong nausea medicine), 3.) The Chemotherapy drugs; Cisplatin and Gemzar.

Here's a paragraph chalk full of info you may not care about, lol.

What Cisplatin Is Used For:

Used to treat testicular, ovarian, bladder, head and neck, esophageal, small and non-small cell lung, breast, cervical, stomach and prostate cancers. Also to treat Hodgkin's and non-Hodgkin's lymphomas, neuroblastoma, sarcomas, multiple myeloma, melanoma, and mesothelioma.

The following Cisplatin side effects are common (occurring in greater than 30%) for patients receiving Cisplatin:

Nausea and vomiting. Nausea may last up to 1 week after therapy. Anti-nausea medication is given before the infusion, and a prescription is also given for use after.
Kidney toxicity. Effects on kidney function are dose related, observed 10-20 days after therapy, and are generally reversible.
Blood test abnormalities (low magnesium, low calcium, low potassium)
Low white blood cells (this may put you at increased risk for infection)
Low red blood cells (anemia)

These are less common Cisplatin side effects (occurring in 10-29%) for patients receiving Cisplatin:

Peripheral neuropathy: Although less common, a serious side effect of decreased sensation and paresthesia (numbness and tingling of the extremities) may be noted. Sensory loss, numbness and tingling, and difficulty in walking may last for at least as long as therapy is continued. These side effects may become progressively more severe with continued treatment, and your doctor may decide to decrease your dose. Neurologic effects may be irreversible.
High frequency hearing loss. Ringing in the ears.
Loss of appetite
Taste changes, metallic taste
Increases in blood tests measuring liver function. These return to normal once treatment is discontinued. (see liver problems).
Hair loss


What Gemzar Is Used For:

Pancreas cancer
Non-small cell lung cancer
Bladder cancer
Soft-tissue sarcoma
Metastatic breast cancer


The following Gemzar side effects are common (occurring in more than 30%) for patients taking Gemzar:

Flu-like symptoms (muscle pain, fever, headache, chills, fatigue)
Fever (within 6-12 hours of first dose)
Fatigue
Nausea (mild)
Vomiting
Poor appetite
Skin rash
Low blood counts. Your white and red blood cells and platelets may temporarily decrease. This can put you at increased risk for infection, anemia and/or bleeding.
Nadir: Meaning low point, nadir is the point in time between chemotherapy cycles in which you experience low blood counts.

These are less common Gemzar side effects (occurring in 10-29%) for patients receiving
Gemzar:

Diarrhea
Weakness
Hair loss
Mouth sores
Difficulty sleeping
Shortness of breath (see lung problems)


I'm also on a nausea fighting medicine called Emend. The Emend works with the Aloxi to block nausea. It's a very successful regimen that blocks cancer induced nausea for 97% of patients.

The steroid I'm on causes you to not get full. I gained 80 pounds last year on this. Last year the dose was a bit higher. I was on four pills the night before treatment and four with the day of treatment along with the dose in my pre-meds. This year I'm just getting the pre-med version. This makes me happy because I'm trying to fight the weight gain by eating healthier and walking.

My whole regiment is very different this time around. This time I'm going in twice in two weeks for the chemo, one week off, and the two again in row. It will be a total of 12 in 18 wks. The Cisplatin is hard on the bladder and kidneys so I have to go in extra early and get hydrated and stay extra late to get more hydration. On a normal day it will be around seven hours of sitting. I'm the first patient there and the last to leave. A very boring, long day.

Next week I'll be receiving a Neulasta shot which is a shot to help keep the white blood count up. It causes muscle aches. Kind of like you're experience flu like symptoms. This muscle pain is probably the worst side effect I experience last year.

I hope you enjoyed that long list of what I'm on, lol. I hope it was educational for someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment